Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blues? And blue.

Just finished loading up the truck for VeloSwap. Overstuffed with 6 complete bikes, 12 wheelsets, 30+ tires, 30+ tubes, plus a few duffel bags of headsets, derailleurs, brakes, rotors, etc... you know--Very Important Stuff. Could not, can not rid myself of the image of Jake and Elwood sitting in the 'Bluesmobile':

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses..."

I'm actually not taking off until tomorrow AM, but I didn't want to wait to pack everything up at the last minute, as that's a guaranteed way to forget something impo'tant.

VeloSwap is a necessary evil for me just about every year. Ordering stuff in to have "in stock" year-round is still not much more than a guessing game. You just never can predict 100% what people are going to want. The "sure things" aren't always so sure, and this time of year I'm always sitting on a pile of inventory that's simply taking up space--space that I could be using for the stuff that does sell. So I cart it all down to VeloSwap, wheel and deal for the better part of 8 hours, and at the end of the day I can only hope that there's enough to cover all of my costs. It'd be really, really nice if I had a little jingle in my pocket for a good meal in the big city. I'd most likely spend it on sushi, but maybe not...

Now that I'm packed there's another matter to attend to: a deep, dark, cloudless-crystal-clear blue sky above, a raw temp of +70f, not a hint of a breeze, and 2+ hours of daylight left to spend.

"Hit it!"

MC

5 comments:

  1. Next thing I know you'll be telling us you're on a mission from God.

    Just watch out for the Illinois nazis.

    Darkhelmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. rrrrrrrrrrrrubber biscuit!

    bow bow bow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't complain about the weather in the Front Range either..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cop shocks, cop engine....and it was made before the catalytic converter so it'll run good on regular gas.

    Fix the cigarette lighter.

    Nice to see you B-loggin', MC.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete