Thursday, June 17, 2010

Meditations on a summer eve-uh-ning with Fang.

Twice in the last week I've involuntarily fallen asleep while doing something else. Something that didn't remotely involve sleeping. Sunday I was walking to the kitchen to fetch something when I inadvertently, unintentionally ended up facedown on the couch for an ~hour. When I woke I mopped the drool off my cheek, noted my groggy but oddly refreshed state, then continued my day.

Then, pretty much the same thing happened Wednesday.

Apparently I've reached critical status with needing (or at least wanting) to cram too much in every day. An easy thing to do for us OCD types with the days approaching their longest of the year.

As afternoon wended it's way into evening I made a mental note to change it up a bit. I didn't have the gumption to get kitted up for a ride, didn't even have it to change shoes and go for a hike. At the time I only knew that I needed to NOT build another wheel, NOT sit down to answer more wheel-related emails. I needed to step aside and let my own personal hurricane spin on for a spell without me.

I plucked the car keys from their hook, instantly bringing Fang out of his own facedown-on-the-couch state and into ~half alert. When I grabbed the camera, tugged a hat on, and wordlessly headed for the door I heard his nails clicking on the hardwood behind me. Atta boy. I'd noted earlier in the day that the M&M supply had run dry, and no further reason was needed to head to the store to re-up.

On the way we stopped by a small local park that, on a heavy traffic day, might have 1 other person and 8 ducks. Today there were seven ducks and zero persons. Fang isn't anti-person, but he *is* a fan of that kind of person-to-duck ratio as it means he can be off-leash roaming and sniffing.

And fetching. I lazily tossed the ball out there then I'd just sorta let my eyes wander. Watched the aforementioned ducks. Pigeons. Starlings. Red-winged blackbirds, and I think a few Grackles.

A few minutes later I'd notice that Fang was standing next to me. Still with the ball in his mouth, still dripping, just watching the birds, same as me. I lazily tossed it a few more times and paid attention to his response on each. His signal for 'I've had about enough' is to watch the ball splash down, pause for several seconds, then turn and give a long look that (to my eyes) says, "Didja have to throw it so far?". Then he'll reluctantly go after it. Never seen a more disinterested 'triever in my life.

Atta boy.

After that last toss we wandered around the park, back to the car, then down to the M&M department. Knowing that a guy can't show up to the checkout with a five pounder of processed sugar and a sheepish grin, I snagged 2 pounds of romaine and a pound of corn (ok, ok--Fritos...) on the way out.

After, we adjourned to the back yard and visually stalked more traveler birds as the day brought itself to a close.

Then, sensing what good had been achieved by stepping out of the whirlwind for a few hours, I stepped back in.


  1. Ah, the curse (slash blessing) of being obsessively self employed. I know the feeling of which you speak all too well. Great post.

  2. Fang is pretty cheap therapy.

  3. floppy ears make the world so much brighter sometimes.

  4. This is a good article, and I want more information on this topic. Your post has been one of the best I have read.
    used toyota avensis|Mazda RX