Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sure ya can.

I've been spending increasing amounts of time riding in bike parks the past two years. Simply put, I stink at getting airborne and being graceful while up there. And because I'd never seen anyone else get 'up there' gracefully on a big wheeled bike, I kinda sorta wondered if maybe being fluid in the air wasn't among the easiest things to do on a 29"er.

Devin and Brandon disabused me of that line of thinking up at Winter Park a few days ago. Devin was light and fluid and smooth through all of the jump and drop lines in the park. Uncharacteristically smooth--he rides like he weighs 100lbs less than he does. Brandon sessioned the slopestyle park and, quite frankly, blew any preconceived notions that *I* had about airborne big wheels out of the water.










See?

Keee-rist!

Although Brandon had thrown umpteen no-handers throughout the day, it wasn't until I saw him execute the one above that I realized (with a shiver!) how wrong I'd been. Grace in the air is a simple function of rider experience and comfort, NOT wheelsize.

See?




Lower down:








I guess I was just guilty of believing what I'd heard from so many industry 'wizards' and local bike shop owners through the years. Big wheels are too weak for DH, are too cumbersome in the air, only work for taller riders, blah de facking blah.



I'm counting down the days to an end-of-summer fling at the biggest and baddest bike park on the planet. Thanks to superstar riding by Devin and Brandon, I've got a new goal for the time I spend up there.

A psick no-hander?

Nope.

Hucking it huge?

Nah--I'll leave that in Skippy's capable hands.

I gotta start smaller and work my way up. Whenever I find myself way up there I just wanna be able to keep my eyes open...

Thanks for readin'.

MC

1 comment: